As a wellness solutions coach, I often hear people express discouragement when they decide to start a wellness journey. I call this “stuck in the big picture frame of mind.” And when people are stuck here, the first things they should do is take a step back and think about actions they wish to change toward their overall success. So, today I’ve compiled a list of 5 healthy living habits you can start today. Ease in, start with these tips and be on your way to healthy habits in no time.
- Drink more water. Hydration plays such an important part in our overall health. The average person drinks far less than the daily recommended amount. Dehydration is a serious issue, and it has many side effects including headaches, insomnia, constipation, and poor concentration. I try to drink two litres of water per day. If you’re not sure how much water your body requires, you can use this calculation:
[Weight (lbs) x 0.5 = ounces required per day*] ex. A 150lb individual would require 75 ounces of water or just over 2 litres. *Add 12 ounces for every 30 minutes of physical activity you perform (ACSM).
- Add vegetables and fruit to every single meal and make them part of one of your daily snacks. Have you tried a Pink Lady Apple? FYI, they are amazing with nut butter!
- Laugh out loud. Sometimes we all take life a little too damn seriously, right? Did you know, when you laugh, you stimulate your heart, lungs, and muscles? It also helps regulate your body’s response to environmental and outside stressors. My go-to video when I just need to laugh my ass off has been the same for years. You can watch it here. Also, you’re welcome.
- Add chia and flax seeds to your diet. I recommend using both (ground) chia and flax seeds as part of your lifestyle. Why? Because they both contain omega-3 fatty acids in the form of alpha-linolenic acids (ALAs) which aid in reduced inflammation, reduced sugar cravings, functional digestion, and deliver essential micronutrients your body needs.
- Start resistance training and lifting weights. I think now more than ever people are starting to understand the importance and benefits of weight-bearing exercise -, especially women! Resistance training helps increase your strength and flexibility, which will contribute to protecting your joints from injury. Weight-bearing exercise helps to strengthen bones and aids in the prevention of degenerative diseases such as osteoporosis. Super important stuff.
For those of you feeling even more adventurous, here are a few more tips you can fit into your daily routine:
Are you interested in learning more about how nutritional therapy can improve your life? I have helped individuals find complementary solutions for a range of conditions with great results!
If there is something you have been struggling with, get in touch with me for a FREE 30-minute consultation! Simply fill out the form below or e-mail me directly! I am looking forward to working with you!